Thursday, May 7, 2009

the gymnast and track star


Channing said good-bye to her gymnastics coach last week. Her coach's husband is military and was transferred. Channing was so sad to see her coach leave and is now trying to warm up to a new coach. Unfortunately, Channing isn't the best listener and full of energy...more so than the boys I think.





Her first day with the new coach was spent with Channing disobeying about every command of the coach. I was dying of embarrassment. Everyone knew that was my kid out there running around like a wild animal! We had a make-up lesson yesterday with this same coach. Channing did a little better with listening but still got side-tracked quite a bit and enjoyed leading others girls down the wrong path.



At the end of this lesson, the coach came up to me and my first thought was she was going to discuss with me the importance of Channing listening...which I do address every time prior to gymnastics. But she didn't. Instead she wanted to put Channing in the advanced Preschool class which is invitation only. She feels Channing has a lot of natural ability but needs to work on her listening skills. I agree! Maybe the little bit more challenging class with older girls might help Channing follow directions a little better. I'll keep you posted. She loves gymnastics right now and she cracks me up how fearless she is.

Sullivan has his possibly last track meet coming up this weekend. It's qualifying. I'm not really sure he will qualify for anything this year, running in the 6-7 yo group and only being 6. Hopefully, he'll stick with this and try again next year. He's really improving on his distance running. I wish I could run as easily as he. I'll keep you posted on if he qualifies for anything.

For Dalton, we decreased the ADHD meds to decrease how emotional and confused he was getting on the larger amount. He's done better in those areas but the honeymoon period is over. He's back to not liking school work much. Sure, he loves the social part, it's the work part he's not a fan of. I've had to get on to him a little bit and give him some extra "homework" to make up for the work he's not doing at school. Overall, he really is doing well. We have his IEP meeting scheduled for next week to discuss his placement for next year.

I'm still thinking holding him back a year is in his best interest. He's missed so much of his 4th grade year, because of both the behaviors at the beginning of the school year and then the lengthy hospital absences recently. I think he can get so much from the 4th grade experience and I hate he's missed that. I'll let you know how that meeting goes. Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment