Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Clamp and see


Overnight, Dalton's external shunt stayed open but raised to 20 cm. He seemed to tolerate ok as he didn't complain of any headaches, and his heart rate stayed steady. He was difficult to wake at times and usually he's not a very good sleeper here in the hospital. This makes me think that maybe he's not really tolerating the raised external shunt all that well either.

Of course, at 6 am the neurosurgeon team comes in to do their rounds. Did I mention I'm not a morning person? I tried to wake up b/c I only get a few seconds before they move on. They asked how Dalton did overnight and all I could get out that early was he didn't have any headaches. They felt that was a good sign, clamped him and left.

30 minutes after being clamped, Dalton started complaining of a headache. He woke up for just enough time to eat half a banana, attempt to watch a cartoon, another complaint of a headache and then back to sleep.

Dr. Boop just walked in and checked Dalton's pressure. Felt it was high and recommended we go ahead with the shunt surgery. I don't want to continue to torture him with the headaches if ultimately we are going to have to get a shunt anyway. I can tell he's not tolerating the fluid build up so I think it's time.

So, we are scheduled for a shunt on Friday. Pray for peace. I can't even say the word shunt without erupting into tears.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great!! So glad you've made it to the blogging world. It's a great way to keep up with your sweet little ones. Give Dalton love for us. We're praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping Dalton and your family in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for you and Dalton as he goes through all of this. You are amazing parents. I'm glad you are blogging now so that we can all keep up with Dalton. May the Lord give you peace through all of these decisions.

    ReplyDelete