Tuesday, March 3, 2009

To shunt or not to shunt













Yesterday was an awesome day for Dalton. We walked around a little bit, he ate very well, we even played with play-doh. Our problems seem to be the worst at night. Around 7pm the headaches started back. It breaks my heart when he screams out in pain and I can't do anything to help fix it. I try but my best efforts aren't enough. He'll wake up from his sleep to yelp in pain every 2-3 min. He did this for about 1 hour until a doctor could make it to his room to unclamp his external shunt and measure the pressure. It measured high, not extremely high I'm told, but high enough that if it doesn't come down, Dalton will be getting a shunt tomorrow.

I am still praying for that miracle. God is in the miracle business and I've even been granted quite a few, so I know they're possible. All that he's been through, I'm sure he's had some miracles but he's in need of another. I'm not sure I've ever met a more giving child. He reminds me so much of my mom. I literally think he'd give you the shirt off his back if you said you needed one.

So, we're still in this wait and see holding pattern. I miss the other kids so much. I wonder what is going through their minds while Dalton and I are away so long. Sullivan seems to be handling it pretty well. I think he's enjoying his play time with Grandma and Grandpa. Channing Gail enjoys playing with them too, but I can tell she's having the hardest time. When she sees me, she holds on tight and doesn't want to let go. As bad as I want to get out of this place, I'd gladly stay a little longer if there was some way to avoid the shunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment